Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Update 2 Via Katie Grisham

same as before, my bestie informing my girl group. I just copied and pasted her e-mail.

Hey Everyone

Just wanted to update all of you on Katie's dad.

Today the cardiology surgeon called Katie and wanted to meet with her today. He gave Katie his cell number and told her to call him when she got to the hospital or was close by so that they could talk in person.

Katie then got a call from her dad who said he was tired and didn't want to "do it anymore". Katie was trying to understand what her dad was trying to tell her. Was he tired of cancer treatments, tired of something else? What? Well, this evil nurse got on the phone and said, "What don't you understand? Your dad is tired. If he is tired that does not mean he is giving up". Katie basically had to defend herself on the phone with a nurse who knows nothing about compassion apparently. I want her fired.

When she got to the hospital her dad and the doctors had made the decision that they would bring in hospice to see if he was eligible for their care. I think you have to fall under certain requirements. He did not want to have heart surgery. They did put the instrument in, that I referred to as a strainer earlier, to catch the blood clots. But he will not have the blood clot removed that is lodged in the hole in his heart.

Katie had to sign off on discontinuation of surgical procedures and no resuscitation. These were her dads wishes and she is supporting him in this decision because it is his ultimate decision to make.

She had three choices. $240 a day for her dad to go home and have hospice care. If he were to go into a nursing home like setting with hospice care it would be $250 a day. Then the third option is a hospice home care at a location in Collierville. It's actually right behind Collierville Baptist Hospital. It sounded like the best choice. It would basically be a home for him where all food and necessities would be provided (but not like a nursing home) with hospice there all the time and it's a really nice setup for $195 a day. Katie immediately started thinking wow this is going to be pretty expensive no matter what choice. She was making plans to sell his car and put his house on the market.

Here is the best part. The home for $195 a day was started by a gentleman whose kids all went to Totally Kids/Collierville Christian Academy! Katie even taught some of his kids. He wanted to meet up with Katie and her mom and the amount has gone from $195 to $30 a day. What a blessing! Gotta love those God winks!!!! :) They are picking Katie's dad up from the hospital tomorrow for hospice care at his new home.

I know this has been a really terrible event, but what amazing strength Katie has had throughout all of this! I hope I have translated everything correctly. We love you Katie B!!!

Love, Katie G

1 comment:

  1. Katie - There are no words that can express how my heart hurt for you right now. I know the pain you are feeling won't ever be completely healed. Losing a parent never gets easier, but will become more "normal". Much love to you!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Olive Branch, MS, United States
My name is Katie and I am 26 years old. I am a 3rd Grade teacher for St. George's Independent Schools(Memphis Campus). I am married to the man of my dreams and we live in cozy house in Olive Branch, Mississippi. I now have a Mississippi driver's license and tags and quite often loose my car in parking lots because I'm not used to those tags. I am a diehard Memphis Tiger's basketball fan, and love this time of year.